Assessments, E-Learning for SQL Server, Visual Studio
Free assessments, e-learning packages for developers to understand their abilities with new Microsoft software to be released in November.
- By Michael Domingo
- June 30, 2005
For developers who are gearing up on pre-release information and release candidates of SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005, a free tool is available that can help you gauge your knowledge gained thus far.
Microsoft is providing free access to its individualized skill assessment software for SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005, its upcoming line of development tools that are expected to be released in November. The assessments typically retails for $40, but it's free only for a limited time. You can find them and other assessments for Windows 2003, Exchange and a number of Microsoft software at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/assessment/ind/. Registration is required, but is free.
(The company also has skill assessments for organizations, which is not free and is only accessible through the Microsoft Certified Partner program. To find out more, go to http://www.microsoft.com/learning/assessment/org/.)
Like most of the skill assessment software developed for the MCP site, this software was developed by MeasureUp, a Microsoft Official Practice Test provider.
If your assessment indicates that you'll need more training, a good place to start is yet another free-for-a-limited-time offer, Microsoft E-Learning courses and clinics for SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005. The company is making available a large number of modules that typically retail for between $100 and $400, absolutely free until November. Modules for Visual Studio include:
- 2551: Introduction to Visual Studio Team System
- 2924: Building Data Components in Visual Studio 2005
- 2925: Building Managed Code for SQL Server 2005 and Creating SOA Apps with Visual Studio 2005
- 2928: Implementing Data Access and Security in an ASP.NET 2.0 Web Application
- 2929: Implementing Wizards, Site Navigation, State Management, and Configuration in ASP.NET 2.0
- 2930: Implementing Master Pages, Personalization, and Web Parts with ASP.NET 2.0
SQL Server 2005 modules:
- 2936: Installing and Securing SQL Server 2005
- 2937: Administering and Monitoring SQL Server 2005
- 2938: Data Availability Features in SQL Server 2005
- 2939: Programming SQL Server 2005
- 2941: Creating the Data Access Tier Using SQL Server 2005
- 2944: Updating Your Reporting Skills to SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services
Courses and clinics are available for 90 days after initial subscription or download. To view more details, go to https://www.microsoftelearning.com/visualstudio2005/ and https://www.microsoftelearning.com/sqlserver2005/.
Michael Domingo has held several positions at 1105 Media, and is currently the editor in chief of Visual Studio Magazine.