The Need for Creativity
This past week, I had opportunity to work with a great client at its worldwide sales conference in Miami. During those two days, I spent several hours with the client's sales management team and four hours with its salespeople. The company has a great sales culture and you could feel the attitude in the room.
In the post-meeting evaluations, several reactions to the programs came out: 1) the importance of understanding the various personality styles, 2) the need to be "greedy with your time" and time management and 3) the fact that an individual's creativity can be learned or enhanced.
There is no question about it: Top performers are more creative that your average salespeople. They seem to come up with unique ideas to prospect, find ways to enhance client relationships and close more effectively. Sales leadership requires creativity, as well. Sales managers that are exceeding sales quotas, hiring and developing their teams and building a sales culture require a high creativity quotient.
The good news? You can enhance your creativity by working on it. In my keynote, "No Regrets: The Do-Over Factor," I share three tenets for personal and professional success. Creativity is one of those three foundations. Here are nine actions you can work on to develop mind patterns that will enhance your creativity.
- Track your ideas: Keep a notebook and write down all your ideas about anything. It is amazing what happens when you build an active list.
- Inquiring minds want to know: Be inquisitive. Ask questions and increase your levels of interest.
- Learn about different things: Study a language, read a book, take a course and get active.
- Avoid set patterns: Break your habits -- floss your teeth differently, brush your teeth in different sequences, drive to work on a new route.
- Be open: Listen to others and try to accept new ideas.
- Be patient in observations: Take the time to watch a bird fly, look at the woods more closely, look for new patterns, watch the river flow.
- Engage in hobbies: Your mind must disengage from normal business stress.
- Improve sense of humor: Learn to laugh, even at yourself.
- Be a risk taker: Try something different. The adrenaline will cause a positive impact on your brain.
I would like your comments and thoughts about how you enhance your creativity. What were the most creative sales tactics you have used? What were the results?
Posted by Ken Thoreson on April 29, 2015 at 11:04 AM