The Evolution of Microsoft BPOS
Recent milestones, developments and changes to the Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite.
- By Kurt Mackie
- April 01, 2010
In a recent webinar, Kayvaan Ghassemieh, senior technical product manager for Microsoft Online Services, outlined recent milestones, developments and changes to the Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS).
BPOS is Microsoft's cloud-based bundle of Exchange Online, SharePoint Online,
Office Communications Online and Office Live Meeting.
Some highlights from Ghassemieh's presentation:
- There are 2 million paid BPOS seats at more than 1,000 companies
- BPOS is available in 22 markets worldwide
- Microsoft supports BPOS through six data centers (two each in North America, Asia and Europe)
- Mailbox sizes were expanded to 25GB in March
- Single sign-on capability is planned for the next release
- Other planned upgrades not yet assigned to a specific future release include IMAP support, public folders, additional APIs and beefed-up reporting capabilities.
Kurt Mackie is senior news producer for the 1105 Enterprise Computing Group.