Datacenter Server Enters Beta
- By Scott Bekker
- September 23, 1999
The large scale version of Microsoft Windows 2000, Datacenter Server, is now in beta 1 and is shipping to 300 beta testers on Monday, according to Microsoft.
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server is a superset of Advanced Server, but also includes the following:
- Integrated 4-node clustering
- Rigorous hardware compatibility testing
- Process Control Manager to allocate system resources
- Rolling upgrade that ensures three nodes in the cluster are running while the software is upgraded on the fourth node
- Cluster, Network Load Balancing and Job Object APIs
- Up to 32-way SMP support
- Up to 32 GB of RAM with Physical Address Extension (PAE) support
- Up to 32-node Network Load Balancing
- Winsock Direct for faster I/O performance
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server is not expected to be released with the rest of the Windows 2000 family. The latest target date for the product will be three or four months after the release of the other Windows 2000 products. -- Brian Ploskina
Scott Bekker is editor in chief of Redmond Channel Partner magazine.